If your home has hardwood floors, you understand how difficult it can be to keep them clean. If you want to remove more than just surface dirt, getting rid of persistent smears and killing household germs, you’ve probably considered cleaning your floors with a steam mop.
Using a steam mop on a hardwood floor can be tricky, however. Too much moisture can be damaging to your floor as it seeps into spaces where the finish is inconsistent. Because you want to be careful not to damage your wood floors when cleaning them, you’ll also want to be careful when choosing a steam mop to do the job.
We’ve done the hard part for you by compiling this helpful guide. You’ll find it helpful in finding the best steam mop for hardwood floors. We’ll leave the cleaning to you.
Things to Keep in Mind When Buying Steam Mop for Hardwood Tile
Steam mops are a quick and handy way to clean floors, but there are few things to remember when using them on your hardwoods.
- There are some wood floors, especially cheaper laminates, that won’t hold up to even a small amount of steam.
- When used incorrectly, the moisture from any steam mop can destroy the finish on hardwood floors. Make sure you read the warnings and guidelines that come with your steam mop and follow all manufacturer’s instructions.
- Check your floor’s warranty before cleaning with a steam mop. The warranties of many modern wood floors become null and void once they have been cleaned with a steam mop.
- You may want to considered using distilled water in your steam mop. Not only will distilled water provide better results than water from the tap, but it also helps prevent floor streaks and damage to your mop that the high mineral content of some tap water can cause.
Top 10 Steam Mops for Hardwood Floors Table
What You Need to Know About Steam Mops and Hardwood Floors
It is important that you read this section before using any steam mop on your hardwood floors.
Hardwood and water don’t always get along, so using a steam mop to clean your hardwood floors can be risky business. However, when you are armed with the proper technique and the right steam mop, you’ll be able to clean your floors with confidence.
- The Bad News About Steam Mops and Hardwood Floors. You’ll want to avoid using too much steam, since excessive moisture can do damage to your floor, causing warping or discoloration of the wood.
Using a steam mop with a trigger will help you control the amount of moisture that is applied to any part of your hardwood floor. Also, consider using the lowest steam setting to help protect your floor from soaking up too much water.
- The Good News About Steam Mops and Hardwood Floors. If your hardwood floors are in good shape and regularly kept clean, you’ll only need a small amount of steam from your mop to get the job done.
You should be able to trigger small amounts of steam, just enough to keep the head cloth damp, as you go along. If your cloth becomes saturated as you clean, you’ll want to promptly change it out for a drier one. Too much moisture on your head cloth can be bad news for your floor.
Top 3 Best Steam Mop for Hardwood Floors Reviews
Weighing in at just under 6 pounds, the Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop System is incredibly lightweight and easy to use. It comes with washable, double-sided grip pads, and with a simple push of a button, the used grip pad releases and falls away. You’ll never have to handle a dirty mop cloth ever again. When you’re finished cleaning, you can just release the cloth directly into the washing machine. Then simply wash, and it’s ready to reuse. This feature alone could make it the best steam mop for hardwood floors you could buy, but there’s more.
This mop features a steam blasting option to target your floor’s tougher, stuck-on messes. It is a true workhorse, durable and dependable. It stands up to some of the toughest stains a family can dish out, yet is gentle on your hardwood floors. You won’t need to waste a lot of elbow grease to get your floors clean. This mop does all the hard work for you.
The removable water tank that comes with the Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop makes cleaning a breeze. Speaking of breezes, your house will smell like one, too. The system includes Spring Breeze fragrance discs that, when inserted into the pockets of the mop pad, release a fresh, clean scent as you mop.
It is lightweight, making it easy to transport from room to room or up a flight of stairs. You won’t be lugging around a heavy mop and bucket ever again. And the steam heats up fast, and the mopped floors dry almost instantly, so you can get your cleaning over with quickly allowing you to spend your time doing more enjoyable things.
You’ll love the sleek, attractive design of the HAAN Swivel Head Floor Steamer, but you’ll love its cleaning power even more. Its power jets, steam pumps, and special microfiber cleaning pads are all designed for exceptional cleaning and sanitizing. The system claims to kill up to 99.9 percent of household bacteria. Since it heats up and is ready to clean in just 20 seconds, it gets the job done quickly.
Since it is lightweight and portable, surprisingly maneuverable, and easy to fill, you’ll be more than pleased with how easy it is to clean your floors with this steam mop. And since it works on hardwood, tile, and carpeted floors, you won’t need another mop for any of your surfaces. It just doesn’t get more simple than that.