You’re car hasn’t heard the melodious sound of a vacuum in months and you could survive for days on the accumulated crumbs in the upholstery, under the floor mats and in the cracks of your center console. You’ve decided to clean out that embarrassment of a vehicle if for no other reason to prevent it from taking the brunt of your friend’s jokes. It’s time to purchase the best handheld vacuum for your specific needs.
Look at it this way, it will serve multiple purposes within your home and, given that fact, it’s money well spent. However, there are a myriad of makes and models out there and taking the time to research them all is time you don’t have. So allow this helpful buyer’s guide to “guide” you on your way.
Things to Consider for Handheld Vacuums
- Corded or Cordless. Battery powered handhelds are now just as powerful as their corded counterparts, but they have a limited run life, especially if they have a roller brush that’s engaged for long periods of time. That being said, cordless handheld vacuums are more convenient as there’s no cord to unwrap and wrap again, and they’re much more portable.
- Roller Brush or Brushless. This option is based strictly on where you plan to use your handheld. If you’re purchasing it for use primarily on carpeted stairs, then a roller brush is essential. If it’s for cleaning kitty litter off bare floors…not so much.
- Design. The design of the handheld, wide mouth vs narrow for example, is directly linked to its intended use. The wide mouth design usually contains a roller brush and is intended for use in open, carpeted areas. The narrow mouth design has no roller brush and is meant to easily reach those not so easy to reach places.
- Hose and Attachments. Generally speaking, the corded handhelds, with the wide mouth design, usually come with a semi-detachable hose and a few attachments for the end of said hose. This allows you to stick that attachment into nooks and crevices, such as those around your center consol. Even the best handheld vacuum, of the cordless variety, usually does not offer you the hose option.
Top 10 Handheld Vacuum Overview Chart
Benefits of Handheld Vacuums
They’re small. That’s, obviously, the primary benefit the best handheld vacuums, cordless or corded, roller brush or not. They can easily go where their larger family members, upright or canister, cannot, whether that’s out to your car, up the steps, in a tight closet, between the washer and dryer, under your couch cushions (just watch out for the loose change and couch pizza), or behind the curio cabinet.
They’re small. Did we mention that already? That allows them to be stored just about anywhere, from a closet to cabinet shelf. They’re quick. No, they’re relatively easy to catch, so long as you remember where you stored it. By quick, we mean that unexpected, small accidents are cleaned up rather quickly with the help of a handheld.
There are also a few tertiary benefits to be gained from handhelds vacuums as listed below:
- They’re Extremely Lightweight. Which makes them extremely convenient as well. Most weigh less than five pounds which allows you to grab it, plug it in (or not) and get to work vacuuming in between the spindles on your staircase or around the front of your fireplace without having to worry about muscle fatigue.
- They’re Convenient. Especially for small, unexpected messes such as those created by a cat that digs half its litter out of the box and onto the floor, or those created by that same cat that spends 22 hours a day lounging in the same chair, leaving half its coat coating said chair. Pick it up, turn it on and get busy!
- They’re Inexpensive. Many, cordless or not, can be purchased for less than $50, which is considerably less than the full size models. This allows consumers to purchase multiple handhelds, one for each floor of their homes for the sake of efficiency.
- They’re Easy to Empty. Since all the models reviewed here are bagless, emptying them is a snap. Most have removable dust bins that are simply removed and dumped into the garbage, and some are emptied with the push of a button that opens the self-contained dust bin. Just be sure you open it over a trash receptacle or you’ll be using that same handheld to sweep up the debris you previously cleaned up!
5 Best Handheld Vacuum Reviews
The best hand held vacuum reviewed features a unique and practical pivoting nozzle with over 180 degrees of motion. This feature, combined with its light weight of well under five pounds, allows you to access hard to reach locations above your head, such as the tops of your kitchen cabinets, ceiling fan paddles, window ledges, and hanging pictures.
This sleek little beauty’s 20 volt, lithium battery also packs quite a punch that runs, fade-free, for as long as you do. Its wide mouth design has the suction power to pull long lost Fruit Loops from your couch cushions as well as peanuts from the back seat of your car.
Add to all this a crevice tool and brush, a stable, upright charger that allows you to store this handheld in an out-of-the-way corner, efficient cyclonic action, and a detachable and washable dustbin and you’ve got yourself one powerful handheld that’s actually fun to use.
Dyson claims this sucking machine has three times the power of any other cordless handheld, and given Dyson’s reputation, there’s little reason to doubt that claim. All that power comes from Dyson’s patented digital V6 motor that rotates at a Tasmanian Devil-like 110,000 times per minute., fast enough to suck up just about anything that will fit through its nozzle.
And the nickel manganese cobalt battery that powers the V6 motor will provide you with 20 minutes of run time, long enough to clean the largest of couches, and, for more stubborn problems, the Trigger provides you with a boost button (don’t you wish we all came equipped with this?) that kicks up its suction power to the next level, although, this feature drains the battery more quickly.
The Trigger also comes with a motorized tool designed specifically for upholstery, a crevice tool and a brush tool that’s perfect for pulling dust and crumbs from your laptop’s keyboard. Put all this together, and Dyson has created a handheld that’s worthy of its label and reputation.
The Easyclean is the only corded handheld in the top five for good reason, and that reason is power. This little sucker contains two motors, one drives the roller bush and the other provides 5.5 amps of suction.
Designed primarily for carpeted stairs and household and car upholstery, the Easyclean effectively removes embedded dirt and dust from them all with ease and convenience. However, the hose attachment, which stretches to three times its original permits you clean items other than upholstery.
A feature unique to the Easyclean is its clear plastic riser visor nozzle the flips up to allow the cleaning of vertical surfaces, such as stair risers and the backs of furniture and car seats.
Despite the presence of a cord, the Easyclean combines the power of an upright with the expediency of a handheld vacuum.
Pets provide us with companionship and unconditional love. They also shed. That’s where the Hoover’s LiNX cordless becomes your new best friend. This handheld vacuum, with its three bladed pet upholstery tool, was designed specifically for pet owners and its 25 degree pivoting head provides you with the maneuverability to clean all types of upholstery as well as carpeted stairs.
Powered by an 18 volt lithium-ion battery that is interchangeable with other LiNX cordless vacuums, this Hoover delivers fade free power for the life of the battery and the battery fuel gage will let you know exactly when you’re about to run out of juice.
Its pet hair specific design detracts a bit from its versatility, but for those of you with pets who complement our lives, the LiNX will take care of their wayward fur in no time.
This versatile, lightweight, yet powerful cordless handheld vacuum is perfect for reaching those really hard to access places due to its innovative wide-mouth, yet thin nozzle that rotates into either a vertical or horizontal position. Its on-board crevice device and brush tool serve to only enhance its versatility.
Its 16 volt lithium-ion battery provides fade-free suction power that holds a charge for 18 months when off its charger and its cyclonic action effectively cleans any hardwood or bare floor surface. Its detachable dust cup is easily cleaned and for added convenience, its filter is machine washable.
While somewhat ineffective on carpeted surfaces or upholstery, this handheld preforms admirably on hard surfaces and superbly upholds the Dust Buster name.