You’ve got visitors on the way and, as usual, you haul out that unwieldy vacuum cleaner that you’ve had for years and unwrap and untangle the cord in order to clean before they arrive. If you’re cursing under your breath as you free the cord from around a chair leg for the tenth time, then perhaps it’s time to conduct some research into the best cordless vacuum on the market.
These lightweight, cord-free, battery-powered cleaning machines can be quickly employed to eradicate dust bunnies and remove offending pet hair from hardwood floors and carpets alike. However, they come with various options and finding the one that’s perfect for your particular needs can be a bit difficult. This buyer’s guide will help you locate the perfect cordless vacuum for your specific requirements.
Things to Consider
- Weight. Obviously, the lighter the weight, the easier it is to carry the vacuum from room-to-room and up and down stairs. However, most cordless vacuums sacrifice cleaning power for weight and finding a happy medium is essential for both convenience and suction power. The average weight is approximately nine pounds.
- Run Time. Simply stated, this is the average length of time the vacuum can be operated before it requires a recharge. This time can vary depending upon whether the roller brush is being utilized over carpeted areas and the type of battery included. Obviously, the vacuum will run longer if the brush is not being employed. Average run time for a cordless vacuum is around 20-30 minutes.
- Attachments. Most vacuums, cordless or not, have difficulty reaching certain places, such as along baseboards, between couch cushions, and in between the spindles of your staircase, without the assistance of various attachments. That being said, some cordless vacuums come with no attachments, some come with more that you could ever use, and the best cordless vacuum comes with attachments that get used again and again.
Best Cordless Vacuum Top Ten Chart
Benefits of Cordless Vacuums
The obvious benefit is right there, staring at you in black and white…that being the word “cordless” which means without cord (duh!). No longer are you required to unwrap the cord from those cord wrapping thingies that are built onto the vacuum. There is no cord to get wrapped around a stray child or chair leg, or get wedged under the TV stand. No more performing vacuum pirouettes to get the cord unwrapped from around yourself.
You no longer have to push the vacuum with one hand while holding the cord out of the way with the other. Now, you can vacuum and eat a ham sandwich simultaneously. Finally, no outlet strategy is required and you no longer are required to rewrap the cord when the job is completed.
Below are a few other secondary benefits of cordless vacuums.
- Vacuum in a flash. Or like The Flash. You simply grab your cordless, turn it on and start vacuuming up any and all messes (well, maybe not pet accidents, but they work great on their fur). Remember those guests that are on their way? Now you can whip out the cordless and be done vacuuming with plenty of time to spare.
- Lightweight. Generally speaking, the best cordless vacuums are lighter than their corded counterparts, especially if they are of the stick variety. This benefit is especially valued when vacuuming and carrying them up stairs and when chasing your cat.
- Less Storage Space Required. Since they are lighter, it only makes sense that these cordless vacuums are smaller as well, and that is, indeed, the case. Most of them also come with a wall mounted holder and charging station that allows you to hang them in an out-of-the-way place, like the back of a closet or in the corner of your laundry room, or at your bedside if you’re a clean freak.
- Quieter than the Corded Variety. Now, your family won’t be forced to increase the television volume to 53 when you’re vacuuming. However, if you have slacker teenagers who sleep past noon, they are just loud enough to wake them from their afternoon slumbers.
Reviews of Top Five Cordless Vacuums
This vacuum provides more than ample power and versatility without the inconvenience of a cord and it does so while permitting you to detach, or “lift” the canister and motor from the base for easy maneuverability. Sporting Hoover’s Wind Tunnel 3 technology, it comes with two LithiumLife batteries that allow for 50 solid minutes of run time (25 minutes per battery).
It also comes with a variety of attachments, such as a 2-in-1 pivoting and dusting tool and wand that allows you access to those hard to reach places such as ceiling fan paddles and corner cob webs. Finally, the Lift can switch from carpet to hard wood with the simple touch of a button and consistently cleans each with equal parts ease and authority.
This top of the line cordless will meet all your requirements, whether you crave power, portability, convenience or all three.
Many customers who use Hoover’s LiNX cordless actually claim to now enjoy vacuuming. They love its edge cleaning bristles that grab everything along the walls and its wide, eleven inch cleaning path.
Its sleek design allows you to clean up an unexpected mess in no time, or to vacuum multiple rooms of your home. Its lithium ion battery provides plenty of fade-free run time and still manages to keep the total weight down to ten pounds which you’ll appreciate as you move quickly from one floor to another. And speaking of floors, the LiNX moves seamlessly from carpeted floors to hardwoods with the flick of a switch that turns off the rollers.
Finally, its Wind Tunnel technology and cyclonic filtration system deliver the suction power that you’d expect from the Hoover brand. Simply stated, this cordless cleans with both power and ease of use.
Usually, when someone says a product “sucks,” that’s not a ringing endorsement, but in this case, that’s exactly what it is. The Shark Navigator sucks up everything you require with ease and precision.
Its swivel steering system provides you with the maneuverability to go just about anywhere short of the stairs and its run time permits you to vacuum an average sized home, provided you don’t live in a 10,000 square foot mansion (since you’re vacuuming your own floors, we’re guessing you don’t).
It provides its users with a two speed setting for carpets and bare floors for the motorized brush and its extra-large dust cup empties easily on the rare occasion when that’s required.
Despite the fact that the Shark lacks attachments, it still provides the “suckability” all vacuum connoisseurs demand and all for a very reasonable price.
Just like the band of the same name, the Motorhead rocks! As one would expect from a Dyson, this cordless provides its owner with the power to clean deep carpet as well as hardwood floors due to its direct drive motor, patented two tier high speed radial cyclones, and its nickel manganese cobalt battery.
As with most Dysons, this cordless boasts V-ball technology that grants its user optimum maneuverability and also allows the entire roller to remain on the floor while vacuuming under hard to reach locations.
The Motorhead also has a detachable wand that permits you to convert it from a stick to a handheld for cleaning stairs, automobiles and unexpected spills. It is, however, at the high end of the cordless price range and only provides a pedestrian twenty minutes of run time.
That being said, this is still a Dyson and as they say, “You get what you pay for.” And with this cordless, that’s quite a lot.
This Electrolux provides two excellent products, a handheld and stick vacuum, in one design and both perform their tasks efficiently and effectively. The Ergorapido performs as its name implies; both ergonomically and quickly, especially for unexpected disasters, such as crushed potato chips or tracked in dirt.
Its 180 degree swivel head and lightweight (just 5.5 lbs) allows you to handle corners and furniture with grace and style. Also, the included crevice tool and dusting brush gives you the freedom to dig into any nook and/or cranny and to dust without the Pledge.
Its only downside is the fact that it’s designed, primarily, for bare floors and it has a modest run time of only 15-18 minutes before it needs recharged.
So, to sum up, if you’ve got a home with hardwood floors and are looking for a quick, lightweight, and powerful cleaning machine, then this is the cordless vacuum you’ve been looking for.