A splash of red wine here, some blueberry pancakes there. Pet accidents, muddy shoes, and maybe a bit of coffee, too.
Finding the right carpet-cleaning product to get rid of all these stains takes a bit of research, and luckily for you, we’ve done the research for you!
Below, we highlight the ten best carpet stain removers that will help you get rid of your ugly stains for good.
Carpet Stain Considerations
Before you select a carpet stain remover, consider the following:
- Type of Stain. Are the stains from pets, food, or spilled liquids? Do you have a highly trafficked area where shoes and boots leave little deposits of dirt and grime every time they pass?
In order to clean the stain in the most effective way possible, find out the source so that you know how to clean it.
- The Sooner The Better. Take action as soon as possible. If you spill something or a pet has an accident on the carpet, the sooner you address is the more likely you are to remove the stain completely.
- Vacuum Large Pieces First. If you have broken a glass with liquid inside, then be sure to remove the large piece of glass (or other large objects) first. Next, vacuum up any of the smaller, sharper objects before you attack the stain to avoid cutting yourself.
- Be Realistic. There are many fantastic products out there, but some stains are just plain hard to remove. Some, at most, can be lightened or removed up to 95%, so if the stain just isn’t coming out, then avoid drowning it in a variety of cleaning products that may end up damaging the carpet and creating a mess that is even more noticeable!
Top 10 Carpet Stain Removers Table
|1. Greenwald's Carpet, Upholstery & Fabric Stain Remover Kit||$$$||4.8|
|2. BIG 32 Oz. Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning Spot & Stain Remover Spray By VeryDirtyCarpets||$$$||4.8|
|3. BUBBA'S Super Steamer Carpet Cleaner 32 oz||$$$$||4.7|
|4. Enzyme Cleaner, Pet Stain Remover, Odor Eliminator, Best Carpet Stain Remover, Pet Odor Eliminator, Stain Remover, Odor Neutralizer||$$$||4.6|
|5. Chem-Dry Carpet Stain Extinguisher Spot Remover - 18 Oz Aerosol||$$||4.6|
|6. Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover (32oz, Pack of 2)||$$||4.6|
|7. Shaw R2X Carpet Stain & Soil Remover 32 Ounces Spray||$$||4.5|
|8. Resolve Professional Spot and Stain Ready-to-use Carpet Cleaner Trigger, 32 Ounce||$||4.4|
|9. Hoover 2X PetPlus Pet Stain & Odor Remover 32 oz, AH30325||$||4.3|
|10. BISSELL Professional Power Shot Oxy Carpet Spot and Stain Remover||$||4.3|
Before You Squirt and Spray
Before you apply any stain removal products, make sure you know what kind of fibers your carpet consists of.
- Nylon. If your carpet has been treated with a stain-resistant material, then you should have little problem removing a fresh carpet stain.
- Olefin. This is a more forgiving fiber that is highly stain resistant. You can use quite a variety of stain removal products or cleaners on this type of fiber.
- Wool. It is important to clean and dry wool carpet stains as soon as possible. Since wool holds quite a bit of moisture, it is more susceptible to shrinking and mold growth, so don’t let wet stains sit for long periods of time. Pat them dry with a towel or rag that will re-absorb the liquid.
You should also avoid using any products that contain bleach, brightening agents or dyes and don’t use hot water on wool carpets.
- Polyester. This is also a forgiving carpet fiber that will tolerate a variety of carpet stain removal products. Just be sure to read the label carefully before you apply, or if you happen to have a small scrap piece laying around, test the spray there to make sure it won’t damage your actual carpet.
Top 5 Best Carpet Stain Remover Reviews
This environmentally friendly product comes with a spray bottle and six water-soluble packs that cut down on plastic waste and make you feel like you’re concocting your own secret carpet cleaning potion at home!
Just fill the bottle with warm water, drop the cleaning solution inside, wait one minute as the shell dissolves, and then shake it gently to mix everything together.
This will clean a variety of stains on carpet (as well as many other surfaces), including red wine, coffee, pet stains, vomit or blood.
It effectively removes any water-based or oil-based stains, even older stains that have already set into the carpet.
This is the best carpet stain remover on our list, so give it a try!
This is a great cleaner for all of your common household stains or any carpet that is… very dirty!
Use it in the car to clean carpet or upholstery stains, and you’ll find that it is particularly effective on any pet-related stains.
Just spray, scrub the stain with a brush, blot, vacuum and poof! The stain is gone.
Another one of those “I have to see it to believe it!” products that won’t let you down.
Well, if the paw prints and Bullmastiff face on the front of the bottle aren’t enough to give it away, this is a great product for all of the things that your pet may leave behind on your carpet.
This shampoo requires a steam cleaner or shampooer, and all you need to do is mix it with water before adding it to the cleaning machine.
As a shampoo, this will do a little bit of everything to your carpet. It removes tough stains, pet odors, pet dandruff; it deodorizes the carpet and revitalizes all of the fibers (not just the ones where the stain occurred).
All dog and cat owners love this tough stain remover. Get a bottle and try it out!
If you’re looking for an environmentally safe cleaner for all pet-related stains and odors, this is the cleaner for you.
It is environmentally safe, 100% cruelty-free (products are never tested on animals), and this Bio-Enzymatic formula gets to the root of the problem instead of masking it. The enzymatic bacteria are activated when you spray the liquid on the stain, which begin to eat away at the stain in order to eliminate it. Once it has completed its job, it dries up and disintegrates! No leftover residue or grime.
It also helps to deter your pet from marking in the same area and it’s safe to use if you have small children in the house.
They offer a great money-back guarantee, so if you try it and aren’t happy after 60 days, send it back for a full refund!
For a wide range of carpet stains that you’re sure to encounter at some point in time, this all-purpose spot remover will help you to clean up any water-based stains from carpet, upholstery and fabrics.
Unlike some cleaners, this is safe to use if you have pets or children in the house as it is non-toxic and doesn’t contain any harsh solvents that damage the carpet fibers.
If you have grease or oil-based stains, then this isn’t the right product to remove them. The manufacturer does, however, have several different products that are stain specific, so you can have a look to see which one will match your carpet cleaning needs.
With a little patience and some careful cleaning techniques, you’d be surprised at the results that you’ll get from the products above.
Just remember to use the cleaner that is appropriate for your carpet fiber material(s) and clean the stains as soon as possible in order to remove them completely.